Taiwan is located in Eastern Asia, bordering the East China Sea, Philippine Sea, South China Sea, and Taiwan Strait, north of the Philippines, off the southeastern coast of China.
Climate: Tropical; marine; rainy season during southwest monsoon (June to August); cloudiness is persistent and extensive all year.
Population: 23,024,956 (July 2010 est.)
Currency: New Taiwan dollars (TWD)
Exchange Rates: New Taiwan dollars (TWD) per US dollar - 31.864 (2010), 33.061 (2009), 31.53 (2008)
Time Zone: MST (UTC+8)
Languages: Mandarin Chinese (official), Taiwanese (Min), Hakka dialects
Visitors Web site: www.go2Taiwan.net
- Highly educated population with a 96% literacy rate
- A leader in heavy chemical and technology-intensive industries (electronics and information)
- Originally inhabited by aborigines of Malayan descent, settlers from mainland China and their descendents now comprise Taiwan's majority
- Portuguese, Spanish and Dutch colonial influences
- Mandarin Chinese, Taiwanese and Hakka are mainly spoken
- Lush mountains, pulsating cities, stunning basalt cliffs, excellent hiking and some of the world's finest hot springs